MAY 4, 2005
A site review meeting of the Maricopa County Community College District Governing Board was scheduled to be held at 11:00 a.m. at GateWay Community College, 108 North 40th Street, Phoenix, Arizona, pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.02, notice having been duly given.
Don Campbell, President
Linda Rosenthal, Member
Ed Contreras, Member
Jerry Walker, Member
Absent: Scott Crowley, Member
Charles Poure, Director of Facilities, GWC
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 11:13 a.m.
GateWay Community College President Gene Giovannini called the meeting to order regarding the proposed land site review. He provided the following highlights about the land site located just to west of the college:
- It is an active facility (Dollar Rent-A-Car)
- The property is located just west of GateWay Community College and has a $5 million sales price which is more than the anticipated appraisal
- The owner has called Dr. Giovannini several times and the realtor called yesterday to say there are two offers on the property
- Timing may be of the essence
- There is no immediate need at this time, however, future needs are anticipated· At the time of the next bond offering, the property would probably be worth more
- The campus is landlocked and the only way to expand is to the west
- Strategies include:
- Powers of eminent domain exist
- Owner would like to do long-term lease
- College would need property in the future
- It is a six acre property
- Current lease is up in September
- Owner plans to go month to month with Dollar Rent-A-Car
- Dollar needs to return property to dirt
- Improvements made do not mean anything to college
- If MCCCD buys property, can it be rented to them with improvements on the land?
- Stipulations made with owners need to be put into contract
- If we budget the land and then we don’t need it, we could sell land at a profit.
- Mrs. Rosenthal does not want to purchase as an investment.
- Purchase and have owner put it in trust until it is needed.
- Get Legal Department to draw up an agreement
- Need to get appraisal soon
- Toured land site at 11:25 p.m.
- Put on May 24, 2005 Executive Session
The meeting adjourned at 11:46 a.m.
Governing Board Secretary