S-8 Non-Instructional Complaint Resolution

S-8 Non-Instructional Complaint Resolution danim94751

A student who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly or unjustly by any employee with regard to a non-instructional process such as a student or administrative services has the right to file a formal and written complaint according to the approved procedures. Steps for students to follow:

  1. Discuss the issue with the employee involved. The student should request this conference within fifteen (15) working days from the time the student knew or reasonably should have known about the unfair or unjust treatment.

  2. If, within ten (10) working days of the request for the conference with the employee, the problem is not resolved or the employee has been unable to meet with the student, the student may continue the process by filing a written complaint with the appropriate supervisor of the employee where authority exists to take corrective action. This written complaint must be filed within ten (10) working days following the previous deadline. The written complaint will be given to the employee five (5) working days before any official meetings are convened.

  3. Upon receipt of a written complaint, the appropriate supervisor will work with the parties in an attempt to resolve the conflict. Every attempt will be made to maintain confidentiality during this process. An employee will not be required to respond to a complaint which is not in writing and which, when appropriate, does not have specific documentation including dates, times, actions, supporting documents, etc. The written complaint will be made available to the employee.

  4. If the complaint is not resolved at this level within ten (10) working days, the student should forward to the vice president of student affairs or designee, a copy of the original written complaint with an explanation regarding action taken at each prior level. The vice president of student affairs or designee will meet with the student, the employee, and the relevant supervisor and attempt to resolve the issues.

  5. If the vice president of student affairs or designee do not resolve the complaint, the student may forward it in writing to the college president for final resolution. The college president or designee will issue a final written determination in the complaint process.

AMENDED through the Administrative Regulation Process, March 25, 2013