Disability Frequently Asked Questions

Disability FAQ

The Disability Resources and Services (DRS) office provides registered students with accommodations. Accommodations are established to provide opportunities for equal access and opportunity for students with disabilities to demonstrate their knowledge. Accommodations that may be provided include:

testing accommodations; note takers; interpreters; adaptive equipment; assistive listening devices; digital recording devices; computer software including screen readers; magnification and voice recognition; textbooks in alternative format; and accommodations for temporary impairments and injuries.

A faculty member is not obligated to provide reasonable accommodations without a signed Instructor Notification Form or email notification from the Disability Resources and Services office. It is the primary responsibility of the student to initiate the discussion of the in-class accommodations needed with the DRS office. Both faculty and student may find it useful to consult with the DRS office for advice and/or assistance.

Students may request accommodations at any time during the semester; however, accommodations are not retroactive.

To be eligible for Disability Resources and Services (DRS) support, a student must have a documented disability as defined by The American’s with Disability Act Amendment Act of 2008 (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Students requesting accommodations must provide documentation of the disability.

See Eligibility for Accommodations & Required Disability Documentation for further information.

Disability related information and documentation is treated as medical information and is handled under strict rules of confidentiality. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) provides faculty with free access to educational information in institutional files regarding students with whom they are working. Disability related records are excluded from free access under FERPA. Also excluded are inquiries from outside the college related to a student’s disability or academic progress.

This can be a significant adjustment for students who are accustomed to strong parental advocacy with intervention on their behalf. It is important for the students to begin the development of strong self-advocacy skills and to seek the support of the Disability Resources and Services (DRS) office when needed. Under FERPA, family members are not automatically provided with access to student information regarding disabilities, accommodations or academic progress. Contact the DRS office at the college you plan to attend for additional information.

Students with a temporary impairment, injury or illness, which affects academic goals and/or performance, may receive assistance from the Disability Resources and Services office at the college you plan to attend.

Pregnant or parenting students may receive accommodations similar to those given to students with a temporary impairment, injury, or illness when deemed medically necessary. Students are required to provide medical documentation to the Disability Resources and Services (DRS) office in order to determine the appropriate type of accommodation or academic adjustment to provide. For more information regarding pregnancy and parenting status, please visit the webpage Working with Pregnant and Parenting Students.