Benefits for Veterans and Active Duty

Before exploring your benefits, view the Maricopa Community Colleges Net Price Calculator to help estimate tuition costs.

Select any item below to view more detailed information about your potential benefits.

Eligible Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. VA pays veteran a monthly stipend. Must submit a monthly certification of attendance.

For more information:

This program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Services that may be provided by VR&E include:

  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning
  • Employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral
  • Independent living services

Active Duty Service Members who would like to receive VR&E services:

  • Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of  20% or more from the VA

For more Information:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (also known as Chapter 33 benefits).

Began on August 1, 2009. Eligibility may be established using active duty service performed on or after 9-11-01. You may apply online by visiting or you may apply in the Veteran Services Office on your campus.

View information about the new G.I. Bill on these two websites:

  1. (official site)

Please be advised that those students who have elected to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) the Veteran Center on campus will require a copy of the VA form 22-1990 and/or the certificate of eligibility. This will be necessary in order to process your future awards. It is suggested that those documents be turned in when you are submitting your VA certification request.

All Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients registering for classes must complete a VA deferment (promissory note) at our office every semester. This is important so that your classes will not be dropped on the tuition and fee payment due dates.

If you are called to active duty you will need to contact your Veteran Services Office as well as the Business Office to notify them of your status.  A copy of your military orders will be necessary to process your withdrawal properly.

Eligibility to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependents is based on length of service and retirement eligibility date. Only active service persons can transfer entitlement. See for full details.

Transferring benefits is a two-step process:

  1. The service member must apply with Department of Defense for approval to transfer the benefits when on active duty service.
  2. Once DoD approval is received, the spouse or child applies through VONAPP at to complete the transfer.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) pays eligible dependents up to 36 months of the full, 100% level, of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This includes the tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend. For more information on payment rates click here. The Fry Scholarship is available for children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. For more information click here.

To apply, take these steps depending on your situation:

  1. Make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. Please visit our School Decision Resources page for help in choosing a school.
  2. To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. you may have to make an irrevocable election between the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance program to receive benefits.
  3. If you have started your educational program, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA. He or she can submit an Enrollment Certification electronically using VA-ONCE. (Note: Schools must contact their VA representative to receive this form.)

Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Effective Feb 3, 2012, dependents may receive payments by Direct Deposit. Students wishing to do so call VA Education call center at 1-800-827-1000. You will need to provide routing number, account number, and account type.

You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

Period of Eligibility
If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, though there are some exceptions.

For more information:

REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress. VA pays a monthly stipend based on length of active duty service. In order to maintain this benefit, you must submit a monthly certification of attendance.

For more information:

This is a tax free employment program through the VA.  You must be enrolled at least ¾ time and be receiving VA educational benefits. The following offices employ VA work study; please inquire directly with that office to see if they have a current need for student workers. Please have an updated resume.

The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications, or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations. Spouses may use their MyCAA funds at any academic institution approved for participation in the MyCAA Scholarship.

Who is Eligible?
Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades.

Who is Not Eligible?
Those who are not eligible include spouses married to service members in pay grades E-6 and above, W-3 and above, and O-3 and above, spouses who are a member of the armed forces themselves currently on Title 10 orders, spouses who are married but legally separated (or under court order or statute of any state or U.S. territory) from a member of the armed forces on Title 10 orders, spouses whose National Guard/reserve component military sponsor is in a Warning Orders/Alert, Post Deployment/ Demobilization or Transition Status, spouses married to a member of the Coast Guard, and spouses who are unable to start and complete coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 orders.

What MyCAA Pays For
The MyCAA Scholarship pays tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree (excluding associate degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration). The scholarship also covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities for military spouses.

How MyCAA Financial Assistance Works
A military spouse can apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance after creating a MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

A Career and Training Plan includes the spouse’s chosen career field, name of school and course information (course titles, codes, costs and start/end dates).  If incorrect information is provided, the MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) request will be rejected during the school invoicing process. The spouse will then be responsible for paying course costs.

FA requests are initiated each time the spouse adds specific course start/end dates that begin within the next 90 days.

It is critical that spouses select the correct school name/campus location and input correct course information into their Career and Training Plan to prevent billing problems.  This information should be validated by school officials prior to the spouse requesting MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA).

Career and Training Plans may be edited (e.g. courses may be changed or dropped) up to ten days prior to the start date of a course.  At that point, the Plan will be approved and locked for billing purposes to guarantee the spouse a seat in the class. Courses may be added up until 7 days past course start dates.

Data in the Career and Training Plan is used to validate school bills for payment purposes.  Approved courses may be billed by the school at or below stated costs. Schools may charge penalty fees, partial or full course costs for dropped courses according to their published Drop/Add policies.  Spouses need to be familiar with these school policies.

How to Get Started
Spouses can visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online at and provide the required Spouse Profile information. A real-time DEERS eligibility check will confirm if spouses meet MyCAA eligibility requirements. Once confirmed, spouses can move forward and establish a MyCAA Account. Those who do not pass this check will be provided additional guidance.

Where to Get Additional Information or Assistance
Call a SECO Career Counselor at 800-342-9647 Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST

Payment of Benefits
Educational benefits are paid in arrears, meaning you will be paid the month after you earn the benefit.  For example, you will not receive payment for the month of August until the beginning of September.

Chapters 30 and 1606- Veterans certified for these chapters must verify their monthly enrollment in order to receive payment.  This verification can be done via the automated phone number 1-877-823-2378 or on the Veterans Affairs Web Automated Verification of Employment(WAVE) website.  You are not allowed to do this prior to the last day of the month OR the last day of the class, if it ends in the middle of a month. Benefits are paid directly to the recipient.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - Veterans certified for this chapter will be directly paid their monthly Housing Allowance (BAH) and VA Book Stipend.  Tuition and Fees are paid directly to the school. NOTE: Housing allowance is not payable to individuals on active duty. Housing allowance is not payable for those pursuing training at half-time or less.

Post-9/11 GI Bill book stipend will be released by the VA approximately 10 days before the start of the class. BAH is paid in arrears and prorated by full-time status and by how many class days are in the month.

Direct Deposit is available for all chapters of benefits. Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up direct deposit with VA.

Overpayment of Benefits

  • Veterans may receive an overpayment of educational benefits, and as a result, owe funds back to the Department of Veterans Affairs for the following reasons:
  • Complete withdrawal from school
  • Withdrawal from one or more courses which changes enrollment status
  • A non-punitive grade is received
  • (Non-punitive grades at CGCC are I(Incomplete), Z(No credit), and W (withdrawal))
  • Change in dependency status
  • Taking courses that do not apply to the declared degree program
  • This list is not all inclusive and other reasons may also cause an overpayment.

If any of the above circumstances should occur, promptly notify Veterans Services so that the proper steps can be taken. Under certain circumstances, the VA will allow some of the money to be kept, depending on mitigating circumstances. Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from remaining in class. If you feel your situation warrants mitigating circumstances, you must notify the CGCC Veterans' Services Office or the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

When an overpayment is created, the Muskogee Regional Processing Center sends a letter to the student explaining the debt, followed within a few days by a letter from VA Debt Management. This letter contains a payment remittance slip with a tracking number, which should be included if you send payment to the VA.

There is contact information for Debt Management in the letters. If the VA does not hear from the student, the overpayment will be recouped from future monthly benefits, possibly with interest charges added to the unpaid balance due.

If you have any questions concerning the amount of an overpayment, you should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

Return of Military Tuition Assistance
If you withdraw from a course for which you have received military tuition assistance funds, the Maricopa Community Colleges are required to return any unearned portion of tuition assistance back to your branch of the Department of Defense. You can read the policy at the 2.2.10 Refund Policy page. Be aware that withdrawing from a course for which you have received tuition assistance funds can result in a debt with the Department of Defense and/or with Maricopa. The potential percentage of what may be returned to the DOD and what you may owe to Maricopa can be found here and is based on the length of your class.

Return of Military Tuition Assistance Schedules
In determining the amount of unearned TA, the number of days in which the student participated/attended class will be divided by the total number of days for the class to determine the earned portion of TA. Then, the earned portion of TA will be subtracted from 1.00 to determine the unearned portion of TA which will be rounded up to the nearest 5%; the percent of unearned TA will then be multiplied by the total amount of TA allotted for the enrollment in order to determine the dollar amount of TA to be returned to the respective branch of service.

Percentage Returned 5-week Course (35 days) 8-week Course (56 days) 12-week Course (84 days) 14-week Course (98 days) 16-week Course (112 days)
100% 1-3 1-5 1-7 1-7 1-7
95% - - - - 8
90% 4 6-7 8-10 8-12 9-14
85% 5 8-9 11-14 13-17 15-19
80% 6-7 10-12 15-18 18-22 20-25
75% 8-9 13-15 19-23 23-26 26-30
70% 10-11 16-18 24-27 27-31 31-36
65% 12-13 19-21 28-31 32-36 37-42
60% 14 22-23 32-35 37-41 43-47
55% 15-16 24-26 36-39 42-46 48-53
50% 17-18 27-29 40-44 47-51 54-58
45% 19-20 30-32 45-48 52-56 59-64
40% 21 33 49-50 57-58 65-67
0% 22+ 34+ 51+ 59+ 68+