- The Vice Chancellor for Human Resources may place an employee on paid administrative leave of absence. The Vice Chancellor for Human Resources may place the employee on paid administrative leave of absence only upon recommendation of the appropriate college president (in the case of a college employee) or appropriate Vice Chancellor (in the case of a District office employee) or only with concurrence of another Vice Chancellor (in the case of a District office Human Resources employee). An employee may be placed on paid administrative leave of absence pursuant to this policy only under either of the following circumstances:
- an investigation into conduct that would be grounds for discipline, up to and including termination from employment, is pending and the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources has determined that such paid administrative leave of absence is in the best interests of the employee or in the best interests of other employees or students of Maricopa; or
- the Chancellor has recommended to the Governing Board that the employee be terminated from employment and the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources has determined that, pending final consideration of such recommendation by the Governing Board, keeping the employee on the job would pose a significant hazard.
- The Vice Chancellor for Human Resources or designee shall present personally to the employee, or mail via certified mail to the employee's current address of record with Maricopa, a letter notifying the employee that he or she has been placed on paid administrative leave of absence and shall continue on such status until further notice. The letter shall inform the employee that he or she will remain an employee of Maricopa while on paid administrative leave of absence, must continue to observe all policies and regulations regarding the conduct of Maricopa employees, and will continue to accrue all rights and benefits as an employee. The letter shall further inform the employee that during the duration of the paid administrative leave of absence the employee must contact his or her supervisor each work day, be available to provide information or services as required, and inform the employee's supervisor of all locations and phone numbers at which the employee can be contacted during each work day.
- This policy shall not apply to any employee whose employee policy manual specially provides for paid administrative leave of absence.
AMENDED February 22, 2011, Motion No. 9781, 9782
AMENDED November 27, 2001 (for inclusion in Board Auxiliary Policy Type only)
ADOPTED January 23, 2001, Motion No. 9014