I just signed up using and my tuition seems high. What is happening?

The default for new students is set to "Out-of-State" so tuition and fees will be calculated accordingly. In order to change your status you will need to provide documentation to the Admissions and Records Office/Office of Student Enrollment Services at the college you wish to attend. As each Maricopa Community College is individually accredited, you must establish proof of residency at each Maricopa Community College that you plan to attend.

See Acceptable Documents for a comprehensive list. Additional information can be found in AR 2.2.2 [Section 3.C.iv].

Tuition and fees vary depending on residency status and number of credit hours your are taking. Fees vary based on course enrollment. See Tuition and Fee Schedule.

A student must reside in the state of Arizona for one year preceding the official starting day of the semester to be considered an in-state student and at least 50 days prior to the start of classes in Maricopa County* to be considered a Maricopa County resident. In-state status takes precedence over in-county status (i.e., if you move from another state into Maricopa County, you are not eligible for in-county status until you have lived in the State of Arizona for one year preceding the official starting day of the semester). There are exceptions which are detailed in Criteria for Determining Residency.

*There are agreements established in regards to residents of Apache or Greenlee Counties to be considered in-county residents with a completed affidavit.

Yes—if you can be claimed by the parent living in Arizona on his/her federal taxes. If your mom/dad moves out of Arizona after you are enrolled, but you remain continuously enrolled until attainment of the degree, your in-state status remains.

Since you are an employee of an Arizona school district under contract to teach full-time, or are a full-time non-certified classroom aide at a school within an Arizona school district, you would be considered in-state but only for courses necessary to complete certification requirements by the state board of education to teach in a school District in Arizona.

As a member (or former member, honorably discharged) of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, commission corps of the United States Public Health Services, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, the National Guard, or any military reserve unit of any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States) you are considered in-state if you are assigned to serve in Arizona (or were honorably discharged while assigned to serve in Arizona).

You may qualify as an alien in-state student if you are a refugee student and have been granted refugee status in accordance with all applicable laws of the United States and have met all other requirements for domicile.

If you are not a citizen or legal resident of the United States, you cannot be classified as an in-state/in-county student.

Your visa must not prohibit establishing a domicile in Arizona. If you are holding a valid, unexpired visa in the following categories you may be classified as in-state students:

  • A=Foreign Government Official or Adopted Child of a Permanent Resident
  • E=Treaty Traders
  • G=Principal Resident Representative of Recognized Foreign Member Government to International Staff
  • K=Spouse or Child of Spouse of a U.S. Citizen, Fiancé or Child of Fiancé of U.S. Citizen
  • L=Intracompany Transferee, or Spouse or Child
  • N6=NATO-6
  • U=Victim of Criminal Activity
  • V=Spouses and Dependent Children of Lawful Permanent Residents

If you hold a current visa and have submitted an I-485 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you may establish residency if other domicile requirements have been met.

Residency eligibility for I-485 applicants may be considered one year after the date on the USCIS Notice of Action letter (I-797c) confirming your application for permanent resident status.

You must provide the required residency documentation in addition to the Notice of Action for residency consideration.

In establishing domicile, you must be in a status that does not prohibit establishing domicile in this state for at least one year immediately preceding the official starting date of the semester.

In the event that your parents are domiciled in this state and are allowed to claim you as an exemption for state or federal tax purposes, your parents, in order to establish domicile, must hold a valid, unexpired visa in one of the categories listed above.