To fulfill its Job Description, the Board will prepare and follow an annual planning calendar that a) carefully completes a review of Strategic Plan achievement each year, b) continually improves its performance through Board education, enriched input, and deliberation, and c) provides individuals and organizations with an annual predictable schedule of meetings to the greatest extent feasible to afford them opportunities to attend and participate in Board meetings.
The President will, early in the first quarter of the calendar year, prepare and present for the Board's consideration and approval a suggested work plan for that year's meetings. Considerations should include:
- How the Board will ensure an annual review of Board policies for the purpose of routine maintenance and relevant to the Board's legal and statutory duties, as well as the mission and goals of the district.
- How the Board will gain ownership input, including but not limited to opportunities for input from individuals and organizations, including employee groups and affiliated organizations that have expertise and interests specifically related to Board decisions and Board policies.
- How the Board will continue its education, e.g., Board education related to current issues and trends (through presentations by advocacy groups, Maricopa County employers, staff, futurists, etc.), and education about governance and operational issues.
- Ensuring action approvals required by law, audit functions, Chancellor monitoring and evaluation, etc.
- The President will determine the agenda for any particular meeting, although Board members or the Chancellor may request or recommend any appropriate matters for Board consideration.
- A Board member or the Chancellor may recommend or request a matter for Board discussion by submitting the item to the President at least 14 days prior to the regularly scheduled Board meeting or within 48 hours for emergency items.
- In accordance with the law, the agenda is to be posted at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled Board meeting. The meeting packet (including background materials for decision items on the agenda, monitoring reports, etc.) is to be received by Board members at least four (4) days prior to the scheduled Board meeting.
- In view of the special and important circumstances that mandate the calling of a special board meeting, the President shall take into consideration the scheduling needs of the other Board members, including adequate notice that exceeds the open meeting notice required by law.
- The Board may use a Consent Agenda to expeditiously address items delegated to the Chancellor, yet required by law or contract to be Board-approved.
Any item may be removed from the Consent Agenda by request of a Board Member or the Chancellor.
AMENDED at the August 22, 2023 Governing Board Meeting
AMENDED April 28, 2015, Motion No. 10292
AMENDED August 26, 2014, Motion No. 10220
AMENDED October 22, 2013, Motion No. 10112
AMENDED February 22, 2011, Motion No. 9781, 9782