- It is the intent of the Governing Board of the Maricopa County Community College District to adhere to the provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code Section 101 et seq.). Though there continues to be controversy regarding interpretation of the Copyright Law, this policy represents a sincere effort by the Board to operate legally within the District.
- The Governing Board directs the Chancellor or his designee(s) to develop and distribute to employees guidelines that (1) clearly discourage violation of the Copyright Law and (2) inform employees of their rights and responsibilities under the Copyright Law.
- Each college president or provost and the Chancellor shall name an individual(s) at each district location who will assume the responsibilities of distributing copyright guidelines, act as a resource person regarding copyright matter and provide training programs on current copyright laws.
- Employees are prohibited from copying materials not specifically allowed by the (1) copyright Law, (2) fair use guidelines, (3) Licenses or contractual agreements, or (4) other permission.
- The Governing Board disapproves of unauthorized duplication in any form. Employees who willfully disregard this Board policy and/or the aforementioned copyright guidelines do so at their own risk and assume all liability for their actions.
- In order to assist employees and students in complying with the Copyright Law, appropriate notices shall be placed on or near all equipment capable of duplicating copyrighted materials.
AMENDED through the Administrative Regulation approval process, August 18, 2008
ADOPTED into Governance, September 24, 1996
AMENDED Motion No. 8894
AMENDED Motion No. 8895
AMENDED Motion No. 8896
Governing Board Minutes, December 12, 1989, Motion No. 7144